Current. Events. Politics. Movies. Literature. Theology. Apologetics. Christian. Worldview. This. Is. Where. They. Mix. A challenge to a generation to wake up smell the coffee and advance God's Kingdom.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

For Such A Time As This...


Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.


The above verse is one that a lot of people glance over. I know I have done that before. Or we read it and say, “Indeed, the days are evil.” However, a lot of times, it seems we miss the admonition, or the exhortation that goes before hand. We often look at the world and say, “Wow. Look how evil it has become!” But we don’t do what the scripture tells us to.

What does that passage tell us? “Be very careful, then, how you live…” Are we careful how we live? In this society of quick fixes, many people live for the moment, not thinking about what is going to come next, because, “Oh. If I mess up I can fix it.”? How about among Christian circles? How often do you hear, “Oh, it’s ok, God will forgive me/them/him/her.”? Yes, God will forgive them, but that doesn’t mean you have a license to sin. God only forgives a repentant heart, and by it’s very definition, repentance means turning around and going the other way. But do we live carefully? Or do we live recklessly?

Next, “…not as unwise but as wise…”. This is right up the alley of what Alex and Brett have been talking about. How do you live as wise? By hanging around the wise. I’m not going to talk about that, that has been covered previously, and that’s not what this post is about, but I thought I’d point it out.


This is where I want to focus, “…Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil…”

We all know the days are evil. I don’t think I have to convince any of you of that. What I want to focus on, is redeeming the time. Do we make the most of every opportunity? How many times do we stop and talk to someone on the street about Jesus? Do you ever talk to the Salvation Army bell-ringer when you put in your spare change? Do you know for certain that they are Christians? What do you spend your time doing?

In an excellent post, “My iPod is My Best Friend”, Alex examines how much time most teens spend on technology. “According to a study published by Business Week, the average American spends 9 1/2 hours a day watching TV, going to movies, renting videos, reading magazines, listening to music, and surfing the web. This was in 1998. Since then, Internet use has skyrocketed, DVDs have supplanted VHS, and the iPod has ushered in a new era of isolation from fellow human beings.”

What are we doing online? I have to admit, there are many times when I have spent my computer time doing fun, yet somewhat useless, or idle things. I don’t have an eternal perspective of things. I’m not seeing through God’s eyes. Now, don’t feel condemned. I’m not bashing the instant messenger, I have an account. I’m not bashing technology, I do web design. Nevertheless, what are we focusing on? Are we listening to what God is telling us? Are we doing it?


How are we going to know what God wants us to do? By living in a state of constant prayer, I’ll examine that in a future post…For now, I just want to encourage you to make the most of the time.
God created your for such a time as this. It reminds me of a song by one of my favorite artists, John G. Elliott.

Each of us was born to hear the holy call,
To find our place in God’s unfolding plan.
When his voice is heard, it’s glorious to obey,
And bear his light and truth to every man.

We’re called to be the generation,
That turns the tide within our nation,
but who will go and who will stand?

For such a time as this:
We were born to speak the truth;
anointed words that move the hearts of men.
If we are silent now, the Lord will send some other men;
Faithful men whose hearts are fully his.
For such a time as this.

Each of us was born, to know the heart of God
His deep desire to love and to forgive
He does not delight in judgement or in wrath
But calls to all to turn to him and live

The words that bring a true repentance
That turn away God’s judgment sentence
Are words that only we can give.
(For Such A Time As This, from the recording "Let All The Thirsty Come", 1990 BMG SOngs {Gospel Division} ASCAP)



Now go into the world making disciples as you go. Redeem the time. Don’t let it slip by you, for our God is worthy of so much more than we can ever give. So do all you can. God bless.


|